In order to increase the traffic of a website, a webmaster will need SEO tools. There are plenty of them which we can use for that purpose. One of the most useful tools is Google Webmaster Tools. These may not be the best tools for SEO, but since they are from Google itself, they can provide many crucial insights. Now let’s find out the importance of Google Webmaster Tools, especially for those who have their own websites.
What Is Google Webmaster Tools?
- As you can guess by its name, these are the tools specially designed for webmasters to manage their websites.
- Using them will enable us to do a lot of things which are very helpful in maintaining our sites. Here are the things we can do with them.
- They allow us to communicate with Google.
- They can adjust every aspect of how Google views our site like listing the internal and external links to our site.
- They can adjust the crawl rate indexed by Googlebot at our site.
- They can check the keywords typed by users to land on our site.
- They can check the click rate for every keyword users typed.
- They can look at the statistics of our site.
Despite of being quite beneficial, there is one weakness we have to deal with, and that is privacy concern. You must keep in mind that you have given Google a full access to the statistics of your site when you have used the tools. Hence, you will never know how they will handle the data. Although they are quite reputable, there is still a possibility that they may abuse the data we have. If your site have a top confidential data, then you must reconsider using the tools before letting Google to have the access.
How to Use It?
If you want to use Google Webmaster Tools, then you must join it first. Once you have joined it, you will have to verify that you are the official owner of your site. There are several methods you can use for the verification. One of them is by downloading HTML and uploading it into the root of your website. Alternatively, you can add HTML tag into your homepage head.
After verifying the website you want to use the tools on, you will be able to enjoy the benefits. When you log into your Google Webmaster Tools account, you can access several major sections from the dashboard as shown below.
- Search Queries section can reveal the keywords typed by users to go to your site.
- Links to Your Site section can show the origin of your backlinks (internal and external) and the pages that they link to.
- Crawl Errors section aims to show the errors found by Googlebot on your website.
- Keywords section allows you to see what keywords Google has found on your website. You can also see your site’s theme with this section.
- Sitemaps section enables Google to find the sitemap as well as the URLs in your website.
Now you have learned the importance of Google Webmaster Tools. As you can see, these tools are necessary for SEO needs. Using them will help your website to get a better ranking.